Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Full Belly, Lazy Heart

I have been in a funk lately, all full of discontent and disquiet.  Nothing has been making me happy and most of my mental moments have been self-centered whining and complaining.  I am sure I'm not the only one who encounters this, my relentless mental criticism of everyday things for a season.  I was quite suddenly aware that God didn't seem to be very close or making anything better in my life.

Last night was a particularly difficult struggle.  I slept for fifteen minutes and woke up fully aware and ready to go as if I'd slept eight hours.  For the next three hours I was tossing and turning, praying and complaining to God, wondering why He wasn't apparently available to ease my struggles.  No matter how much I kept telling myself the truth of the situations I was pissy about, no matter how many scriptures I brought to mind, no matter how much I begged and pleaded for Him to make everything better again, nothing worked.  I was in chaos, weakly fending off the volley of lies from the enemy.  Briefly I had the thought when things were at their worst that I should catch up on all the devotions i had been neglecting all week because of our family vacation.  Grumpily, and in Eeyore's unmistakable voice, I brushed the thought aside saying, "Well...if prayer isn't going to work I don't see why reading the Bible will change anything..."

This morning I woke up in very much the same mood.  Everything felt wrong.  I was without joy.  It didn't take much for mine Kinder to grate on what was apparently my last nerve like they had every day for the last week.  There was a huge list of things to do just to keep the apartment in a status that didn't invite vermin or disease.  Why was I bothering anyway?  Nobody appreciates it.  If I happened to disappear the kids would only notice because a snack or meal was late, and my wife would likely only notice because she didn't come home to "Guess what your (insert child) did today?  We've got to do something about him/her".  When was the last time I was happy?  When was the last time I felt appreciated?  And LORD why aren't you doing something about it?!?!

I sucked it up, manned up, bit the bullet, fed and washed the kids, loaded them up into the car, dropped the boy off at pre-school and begrudgingly agreed to take my daughter to our favorite cafe to do home school.  I didn't want to.  I couldn't think of a single reason why I should "reward" her with that.  Apparently that's what my parenting had boiled down to lately...transaction based.

She got her Italian Cream soda, I got my Hazelnut latte, and we broke out the books.  To my chagrin I noticed that we were not two days behind, but three days instead.  She started her Language sections and I opened my Bible.

I am convinced that there is this moment of anticipation that occurs, perhaps experienced by the Lord or perhaps the angels, when you've had a bad time and you finally reach for that Bible.  You open the cover, flip through the pages, maybe begrudgingly, maybe out of duty.

Today it was John 6, a familiar passage that I was almost petulantly skimming over.  I mean, it's the Feeding of the Five Thousand.  I have read it a bajillion times, seen the cartoon, had a t-shirt.  I stopped and forced myself to remember that it is the word of God so maybe I should give it the respect of actually reading each sentence.  I was mildly amused that there is a bit of a hidden miracle after the feeding and after Jesus walking on water.  Verse 21 says "Then they willingly received Him into the boat, and immediately the boat was at the land where they were going."  Yeah.  Not enough to feed 5k people and walk on water, He teleports the boat.

I read through how the 5k follow him to Capernaum already wanting to make Him a king the day before.  They find Him and oddly ask Him when He came there.  His response rang like a gong in my soul, in my situation.

"Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled."

I hurt.  I crumpled.  I repented.

So many times I want to believe I'm better and smarter than many of the people in the Bible.  I chuckle at Peter, shake my head at the Pharisees and yet each of them is a reflection of my own heart.  It is no less true of me and the 5k.

I want Him to be king because of the good stuff I'm going to get.  I am going to my stomach filled, my days full of lollipops and sunshine, and if I don't it is His fault.  I will go my own way, rate my sins on a scale so that I don't feel too guilty about the ones I enjoy, read his New Testament commands an decide whether I feel like it or not, do my devotions based on whether it's interesting or convenient and then act surprised when my mind is full of chaos and I can't seem to hear or feel the presence of the Lord.

In Nordic culture, in the time of Beowulf, the man who became king was the man who gave treasure away.  He was only beloved by his people so long as he kept giving them things.  If the gravy train ever stopped the people would find a new king.  I have to wonder if that is not an apt metaphor for how we in America tend to think of God.  It is clearly a trap I fall into.

Do I love the King or do I love the peace He gives me?  Do I love the King or do I love the joy?  Do I love the King or the fact that He answers my prayers?  Do I love the King because of what He has blessed me with or because of who He is?

Personally I would have to say that my reaction to adversity (Where's God?  Why hasn't He fixed this?) proclaims my oh so palsied heart.  With very many in my faith, I'm sure, I want to do whatever I have to in order to get the effect rather than falling in love with the cause.

As always, "I believe!  Lord, help my unbelief."

Pax,

W

No comments:

Post a Comment